Booking and Preparation
For paper-based tests.
You will need:
- a Passport or Canadian Permanent Resident Card
- a photo or scan of this document
You will need to bring your ID document to your test day. Photocopies and certified scans will not be accepted. Find out more about accepted ID documents.
There are two test types available:
- IELTS General Training: For immigration. Most immigration programs require this test type. Choose this test type for Permanent Residency and Citizenship applications in Canada.
- IELTS Academic: For higher education and professional registration. Most academic organizations require this test type, unless you are studying below degree level.
Always check your application requirements to see which test you need. Learn more about these different test modules.
About Paper Tests:
All test locations offer paper-based IELTS. Visit a test venue in-person to take the Listening, Reading and Writing Tests with paper and pencil.
- We use speakers for the Listening.
- The Speaking Test will be face-to-face with an examiner.
- Results are available in 13 days.
- There is no e-TRF for paper tests and results will not be available to download online. You will receive a paper copy of your results only.
- See samples of the paper test.
About Computer Tests:
Computer-delivered tests are available in downtown Vancouver only at this time. The Listening, Reading and Writing will take place on the computer at our test centre.
- Speaking will still be face-to-face with an examiner.
- Results are available in 3-5 days.
- Test takers can download an e-TRF of their results online.
- Computer tests may offer some benefits like an on-screen word count, faster results and headphones for Listening.
- Computer test takers are eligible to book a One Skill Retake test after they get their original test results.
- See samples of the computer test.
The content and format of both tests are the same and both methods are accepted equally by organizations.
IELTS tests 4 skills: Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking. You will receive an individual score for each skill and an overall score.
|25% of overall score; 30 mins
|25% of overall score; 60 mins
|25% of overall score; 60 mins
|25% of overall score, 20 minute time slot
|An average of all scores, rounded to the nearest 0.5
Learn more about the IELTS test format.
No, there is no pass or fail mark for IELTS.
However, if you are using your test results to apply for a program, such as a university, college or immigration program, you will usually need to achieve a minimum score.
If you are applying to a university, college, or employer: The organization will tell you what minimum score(s) you need to achieve, and which test type you need (Academic or General Training). Contact the admissions department or check their website for more information.
If you are applying to IRCC: Check the Government of Canada website for the latest requirements, or click on one of the quick links below.
The cost varies by location. Our current fees are:
- $339.00 in the Lower Mainland
- $414.00 for all other locations*
View our Test Locations.
All prices are in Canadian dollars and include tax.
*Most staff members live in or near Vancouver and will travel to your community to conduct the IELTS test. We add a surcharge to locations outside of the Lower Mainland to cover expenses like travel costs and venue rental.
Credit or Debit card: Pay online with a Visa or Mastercard. Select the Credit option.
Cash: Pay in person at our downtown Vancouver office. Get Directions. Select Offline Payment and visit our office within 24 hours* to pay.
*Your booking is not complete until you have paid for it. If you don’t complete payment within 24 hours, your booking will expire and you will need to start again.
Yes, the Speaking Test is always included in the test fee.
We will schedule your Speaking Test time for you. You won’t be able to select a time slot when you book the test.
For tests in Vancouver, Surrey and Burnaby: You will get the Speaking Test time slot on the day of your test. Find out more about your test day.
For tests at all other locations: You will get the Speaking Test time slot by email 2 days before your test. Find out more about your test day.
35 days or more before your test: You can request to cancel or change your IELTS test, for any reason. The fee is $80. View our policy and instructions here.
34 days or less before your test: You can request to transfer your test date due to an emergency outside of your control. You will need to submit supporting evidence within 2 days after your test. The fee is $80. Find out more about applying for Special Consideration.
If you arrive late or are absent without reason, you won’t receive a refund. You may book and pay for a new test.
Preparing for your IELTS test is strongly recommended.
The amount of preparation you need depends on factors like your current English skills and the scores you need to achieve.
We can offer the following assistance:
- All candidates will receive free limited access to an online IELTS course for 4 days (all skills) or 30 days (one skill) after they register. Check your confirmation email for your personalized link. Find out more.
- ILAC offers test preparation programs both online and in person in Vancouver for an additional fee. Get structured guidance from an experienced IELTS tutor in a group class setting
- You can also prepare for IELTS by yourself, using books or trusted online resources. Find out more.
- Check out our Instagram, Facebook or YouTube for study and exam tips.
We can arrange most special accommodations for test takers who have appropriate medical documentation. Check below for details.
- Show your specialist physician this letter containing instructions for what information to include in their medical evaluation.
- Email us the report and recommendations from your physician at least 12 weeks before the test you want to take.
- We will work with you to confirm fair accommodations. We may advise you to book at a specific centre that can best accommodate you.
- After the steps above are complete, book and pay for your IELTS test at a recommended venue.
Email us if you have any questions about special accommodations.